Yangon was a fishing village know by the name of Dagon up to the mid eighteenth-century. It was not yet established as a seaport then. At that time, ThanLyin, Pathein, Mottama and Pegu were mostly used as seaports.
In 1775, King Alaung Phaya seized to the territories along the Ayeyarwaddy river and reached Dagon. The name Dagon was changed to Yangon by the King.
Chronological Events of Yangon Ports